The only thing harder than getting a child to brush their teeth, is to be comfortable making a trip to the dentist office. For some reason every child has an incredible fear of going to the dentist. It can be overwhelming for some kids, because of all the smells, tools, sounds and lights. Regular dentist appointments are just as important for kids as they are for adults. If you can’t find a way to make your child feel comfortable with the idea, it can be a really frightening and painful experience. Here are a few ideas you can try to help your scared child feel more comfortable going to the dentist.
1. Create excitement about the visit. Do this by talking to your child and telling them all of the cool experiences she is going to have and how shiny her teeth will be after.
2. Make sure to explain to them why it’s important to get your teeth cleaned and how they prevent really painful procedures from becoming necessary.
3. The younger the child when you start speaking of prevention the more likely she will not be afraid of the idea of going. They will be accustomed to the idea instead of developing a fear.
4. If possible, schedule theirs at the same time as yours, and have them in the room with you. This will make it easier on them, and it can be a bonding experience that you have with your child.
5. Keep dental visits consistent. Shoot for once every 6 months to avoid problems associated with long breaks, like cavities and plaque buildup. Remember the longer the break the more difficult it would be.
6. Above all, make sure to let the dentist know that your child is nervous. They deal with this everyday and know exactly how to make kids feel comfortable.
Apply these steps to see if your child feels more comfortable with the idea of a visit to your Tijuana Dentist. Call us today to schedule the appointment and help you with anything you may need to make your child feel better while visiting us.